Are you looking for a funny and useful mom blog?

Good, you came to the right place!Hi, my name is Chantal Sarkisian and I am a new mom who had a sweet baby boy named Victor in Feb 2013. Join me on this blog to follow my new mommy journey while I am on my maternity leave. I'll ramble quickly about all the random thoughts that go through my head when I am feeding in the middle of the night, or trying to put my son to sleep. I'll also blog about my favourite things, give you helpful tools, and explore activities to do (mostly in the Ottawa region) with kids and maybe some product reviews too! Thanks for reading!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Off Road Cooking: Gourds are gourd for you

Following my October post, I thought it would be nice to show you what I've been stirring up in my baby kitchen these days!

Victor is really loving gourds, who doesn't. I particularly love cooking with pumpkins or butternut squash. Not only are they delicious and creamy, they cook so fast and they are easy to cut and peel (I use a peeler). As you all know, gourds can be intimidating to cook with because the skin is so hard and bumpy. An easy trick is to use a good sharp knife, preferably with a ceramic blade. You can cut it in half, remove the seeds,  bake it first and peel the insides, or simply chop it up and steam. I have seen gourds being sold in cubes at the grocery store which is a nice way to eat healthy, save time and avoid the intimidation. Listen, I am all for short cuts, if the end result is worth it.

Last weekend, Victor ate his first traditional Thanksgiving meal which consisted of mash potatoes, turkey breast, brussel sprouts, stuffing and a teaspoon of cranberry sauce. He LOVED it! I brought the baby bullet at the in-laws since I had been anticipating this day for a while now. It was nice to have the evening off in the kitchen. When it came to desert, I felt bad watching V stare at my homemade pumpkin pie, so I gave him a bite of the middle... his arms kept flapping in the air while he rolled his wrists, which is the symbol for "YUM, I WANT MORE!".

Poor thing, I wasn't going to give him more sugar desert, but I did make this for him... my version of Baby Apple Pumpkin Pie.

Are you sick of Turkey leftovers yet? What's your favourite Thanksgiving dish? Are you finding it hard to catch up to the 4-day week? Good news, tomorrow is Friday!

Apple Pumpkin Pie (homemade apple and pumpkin puree in water with cinnamon and nutmeg) 

No comments:

Post a Comment