Are you looking for a funny and useful mom blog?

Good, you came to the right place!Hi, my name is Chantal Sarkisian and I am a new mom who had a sweet baby boy named Victor in Feb 2013. Join me on this blog to follow my new mommy journey while I am on my maternity leave. I'll ramble quickly about all the random thoughts that go through my head when I am feeding in the middle of the night, or trying to put my son to sleep. I'll also blog about my favourite things, give you helpful tools, and explore activities to do (mostly in the Ottawa region) with kids and maybe some product reviews too! Thanks for reading!

Friday, November 22, 2013

Off Road Cooking: New teeth, new texture

V enjoying his Avocado and Omelette
Little man is so over purées.

Of course, as I settle into a routine and get comfortable cooking for him, V has to change it up! I was wondering why he was rejecting the last few meals I was giving him. Then it dawned on me when I was at a baby group and saw other kids eating cubed food… DUH! V is ready to chew with his new top teeth!

Now the challenge is, what do I feed him that he can chew, while maintaining the nutrients he requires? I put my creative "Off Road Cooking" hat on and came up with this: Spinach, mushroom and cheese omelette with cubed avocado.

He really loves chewing his food. Feeding takes three times as long now and you really have to watch for choking. Oddly enough, V doesn't put things in his mouth (like toys), which means he needs me to feed him because he doesn't know that he can put the food in his mouth :( He also prefers that I feed him with my fingers rather than using a spoon... Mr. Picky!

He is slowly learning to touch and pick up the food with his delicate hands (even if he ends up squishing it in his palms). V is also learning to use his sippy cup… he knows how to drink from it, and is working on holding it up himself. Warning- it gets dirty! I need to let go of the "messy"factor and just let him be a kid. I never realized that I am such a clean freak when it comes to baby mess. 

I just love watching V when he eats. His little mouth moving in new ways to accommodate for front teeth chewing, his dextrous fingers picking up small slippery food. I think because he is at eye level with me, it's a new angle that allows me to observe him closely. The high chair is also a great spot to teach things like "hands up" (baby hands up…) and "clap" because you have their undivided attention. V is getting really good at both.

Are you feeding baby stage 2 solids? Any good/easy recipes to share? Leave your comments below!







No comments:

Post a Comment